[Fluxus] pixels-renderer weirdness

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 20:49:53 PST 2011

>>  i'm not sure what you want to achieve. would you like a blurred texture
> without transparency on the final cube? it probably can be done with a
> shader overwriting the alpha values, or using another pixel-renderer without
> blur, or using a combination of (blend-mode) with a transparent plane
> without the blur pass.

Check. Then that covers the blur. Actually, what I thought about here was
that it could be nice to "poke holes" in solid planes using the pixel
renderer and getting the silhouette of a model as the "hole". I think I can
do that too already, with a transparent clear colour, a plane to cover it,
then a object before that plane that has it's origin behind it. That would
make the transparency go "wrong" which would be exactly what I'd like.

Actually, what I'm after here is a technique to put the AR tags on a solid
(non digital) object, then have those masked by something that appears to a
hollow space inside the object, but then I ran into all of these questions.

>  Again. This part keeps confusing me.
>>
> when an object is rendered, the distance from the camera is stored in the
> depth buffer for every pixel of the object. this depth buffer is a 2d array,
> with elements for each screen pixel. if you have for example a cube there
> will be pixels which would be rendered to the same pixel coordinate, pixels
> of back and front faces for example. the graphics card compares the two
> depths and chooses the closer one. this does not work with transparent
> objects. since you need to display every pixel regardless of their depth
> values. if you use (hint-ignore-depth) that's what's happening. i hope it's
> clearer now.
>
> Yes. I meant I understand most of it, it just keeps tricking me when I
actually run into it. Here it surprised me because I was quite surprised by
the blur causing transparency.

Thanks,
Kas.