[Fluxus] Building woes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 08:59:58 PST 2011

> I tried building racket 5.0.2 from source a day back or so but some
> modules failed to compile (?) when I configured it with --enable-shared
> and it didn't finish installing. I should probably submit a bug report
> later this week --

Yes, that does sound like a Racket bug, especially as Racket's configure
seems to do quite a decent job of making sure you have all libraries that it
needs. I've never seen it do this, I have seen (read "caused") a
mis-configured Racket cause issues building Fluxus but not Racket failing to
build after verifying everything needed was there.

> when I feel like waiting for the darn thing to
> compile while my laptop is heating like a stove.

Yes, it's lengthy and they do a good job of using threading to make the must
of the cpu. If you are really getting worried you can of course make sure
it's on some elevation to give the fans more space and put a table-top fan
on the thing. Then again; Fluxus is quite capable of maxing out both the CPU
and any GPU that may be present. It's annoying how many laptops don't seem
made anticipating that we are actually going to use the GHz we paid for. One
of the many things in the world I'll probably never grasp :¬).