[Fluxus] Fluxus & Syphon

Rolf Meinecke fluxus at jsilence.org
Wed Jan 23 07:31:50 PST 2013

Am 23.01.2013 um 16:13 schrieb Kassen:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 01:11:56PM +0100, Ted VjBros wrote:
>> For people who doesn't know what's Syphon is, it's a mac osx system to share easily video buffers between applications.
>> A Syphon server send the compatible application picture,
>> and in the syphon client, you can choose which syphon server to display.
>
> This is of course really cool. Is this at all comparable to something
> like screen or X-server displays on the Linux side?

Hm no.
Syphon runs locally and allows to very efficiently send video data from one application to another by using some graphic card buffer addressing vodoo something beyond my grasp. It is virtually lag free.

Unfortunately it is not (yet) possible to send video via network to another computer.
Also mouse positions and keypresses are not sent. Only the video.

But it could be used to screen record fluxus sessions if the whole fluxus display would be sent via syphon. There is a free Syphon recorder. http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/

Also ist would be possible to include Fluxus sessions into other VJ-Software such as CoGe, VDMX Resolume, Module8 and others.

-rolf