[Fluxus] Crash after compiling on OS X 10.7 (64 bit)

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Sat Jan 7 03:00:27 PST 2012

Hi all,

On 01/06/2012 09:21 PM, gabor papp wrote:
>> I did get it to run by doing that actually, but this error would pop
>> up occasionally when running the app (without crashing it though) so I
>> just went back to the 0.17 binary.
> i think this error only started happening with racket 5.1.2+, so i hope
> it solves it if you go back to racket 5.1.1.

I have racket 5.1.2+ pretty stable now (with what sounds like the same
static order switch Fjölnir has done). The only problem is F6 reset
crashing - a racket bug which was fixed a few days ago.

>> The reason I was trying to build from source was that sometimes the
>> 017 binary starts consuming huge amounts of memory and then crashes
>> (yet it's apparently not leaking much) so I wanted to try to track
>> that down. But if I can't even get the thing to compile for me, then
>> there's not much hope in that I guess :)
> this is a misterious leak we have been trying to hunt down for years
> now. we would be very grateful if you found that leak.

Is this after long running times creating and destroying lots of
geometry? My current theory is memory fragmentation, some interaction
between little allocations from the racket gc and larger primitive
buffer allocations.

We could potentially fix this by using a fixed geometry buffer and a
simple allocator.