[Fluxus] R7RS

Benjohn Barnes benjohn at fysh.org
Wed Oct 5 00:10:24 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://developers.slashdot.org/story/11/10/04/1942209/r7rs-scheme-progress-report
>
> Summary of the planned changes for the Scheme standard. What I got from
> this;
>
> *It's heartening to see that we are not the only ones using one of the
> cleanest simplest languages around to make a glorious mess.
>
> *The plans include a new standard for dealing with time which is exactly
> what we (don't) need (more of).

From the slash-dot article, the small R7RS seems like a fantastic outcome. A few clean ups, a couple of nice new features, and a module system that can get used. That sounds like exactly the kind of think the language core should mandate.

My hope would be that the large R7RS will just prescribe well worked out additional libraries by reference to SRFIs, and perhaps other libraries that might not be quite as developed in terms of perfection, but are still good to have about :-)

It seems to me that the smaller language and the larger "batteries included" part need to have their standardisation releases clocked at different rates. The small language core once worked out would probably move quite slowly. The canonical library specification might move quite a lot more quickly.

Anyway – it seemed positive to me :-)

--
benjohn at fysh.org - Twitter @benjohnbarnes - Skype benjohnbarnes - Mobile +44 (0) 7968 851 636