[Fluxus] webcams on Linux

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 17:50:35 PDT 2011

Dear list.

Yesterday I noticed that some time ago Gabor had committed a fix for the
video library issues under Linux. However, it still wasn't working for me,
even after cleaning and recompiling everything. After some tests and a hunch
(after recognising the kind of glitch pattern I was getting) I thought it
might be the exact same issue that Skype has with some versions of Linux
(including Ubuntu) with some cams (like my cheap crappy logitech).

The solution is the same. Run this;

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so fluxus

Assuming the addons compiled correctly you should then have a moving image
at running the example that comes with the video extension, instead of a
glitchy mess.

Hope that benefits somebody,