[Fluxus] formant crashes fluxa

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 06:37:35 PST 2011

Dear list,

I was trying to do some pulse-trains in Fluxa. Fluxa doesn't have those out
of the box, but with some creativity I got;

;this works, play with it, it's fun. It's nice that (klip ) now works.
(play-now (mul (adsr .1 .2 .7 10) (moogbp (klip (saw (adsr 0 0 20 10)) .999)
.5 .9)))

Not bad, but not quite there yet either as moogbp won't resonate even with a
Q as high as 30 (at which point I stopped trying) So I tried something else;

; BEWARE! Explodes! Gets Fluxa stuck!
;May harm speakers, ears or relations with pets, please take care.
(play-now (mul (adsr .1 .2 .7 10) (formant (klip (saw (adsr 0 0 8 10)) .999)
.1 .5)))

To my ear this sounds like a exploding unstable filter. This then creates
such a high DC offset that no other sounds will get through. What is worse;
no amount of "node cycling" will get rid of that DC offset and a hard reset
of Fluxa is needed. At this reset I heard the distinctive click of a DC
offset getting removed.

I believe this means a investigation of (formant )'s stability is needed but
this might also mean that the final value of a top-node doesn't (always?)
get cleared as I believe it should at collecting the node's resources, to
avoid long-term DC buildup over normal usage.