[Fluxus] Fluxa notes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:38:51 PST 2011

On 5 March 2011 18:41, gabor papp <gabor.lists at mndl.hu> wrote:

> .
>>
> sorry, i don't know fluxa very well, so i was not aware of (reload). this
> could fix it. although it seems to me there's a 2-level cache. fluxus caches
> the samples in the fluxa.ss module, these are affected by (reload). the
> fluxa server also caches the samples in AsyncSampleLoader.cpp.

Yes. I think Fluxus figures out whether we already loaded a sample. If not
it sends it to Fluxa. If we did it refers to it by its id number. A fluxa
reboot can get these out of sync. This requires a reload, but as reload
doesn't/didn't respect searchpath these can get out of sync. Part of the
cause to this is that Fluxa is very independent of Fluxus. That's a good
thing too because Fluxa is very resistant to things going wrong in Fluxus
and recovering from cpu spikes, etc.

>  Quite a few complicated questions for such a small synth program! :-)
>>
> yes, i feel a bit confused already. probably it's better if i stick to the
> visual side of fluxus :).

I understand, with you not using it and all. I on the other hand quite like
it. There is some weirdness but Fluxa is about as simple as a audio
programing language is ever going to be. That's good for livecoding and it's
good for me poking about in it. It should also be good for making sure it's
bug-free in the future.