[Fluxus] [RFC] Fluxus as an A/V batch synth

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Jun 16 23:26:09 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 10:28 +0200, gabor papp wrote:
> hi Stefano,
>
> > This was my idea: provide the script filename to the source, and let
> > it generate the video and send it to the filterchain (no need of
> > display rendering at this stage, as the objective is batch
> > processing).
> if it's batch processing you can export the frames using (framedump),
> (tiled-framedump) or (start-framedump) and encode them using ffmpeg.
>
> > Secondarily, I'd like to connect it with external applications, to
> > read and pass processed data. With audio there are already existing
> i would try writing an ffgl plugin here. you render the whole scene into
> a pixel primitive and attach the plugin to it, which sends the frames to
> the other application in shared memory.

I haven't really messed with ffgl but my general impression is that if
you are doing anything that involves reading back from the GPU it's
going to be a bottleneck.

The most promising approach is to keep everything on the GPU in texture
memory. You can do multiple passes on the same image using shaders.

I have some plans to do some quite extensive work on this with fluxus
(when I get a working laptop with a GPU again).