[Fluxus] redacted utility nodes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 15:41:23 PDT 2011

Dear list,

I added some new nodes to Redacted to help deal with signal polarity. Some
nodes output signals from -1 to 1, others from 0 to 1 and the modulation
inputs range similarly. These don't always line up as we'd like them to and
I concluded that how they should line up can't really be automated. So; I
made a scaling object that deals with that. From the Scheme side it looks
like 4 functions;

(bi->uni mynode) Scales a signal from -1 to 1 into one from 0 to 1 (this
could already be done using two mathnodes but would look clumsy and it was
quite common).
(uni->bi mynode) The reverse.
(rect mynode) Wave rectifier, like a diode it sets any negative component to
the input signal to 0.
(full-rect mynode) Like the last one, except it inverts negative values.

Not very exciting stuff on their own but handy building blocks for bigger
things. See for instance the example of (uni->bi ), which demonstrates
a asymmetrical wave-shaper based on (distort ) that sounds quite different.
(bi->uni ) is also extremely handy with (scrub ). a (saw ) and a
single-cycle waveform sample. From there on distorting the saw that scans
the sample will lead to a sort of phase-distortion on arbitrary wave-forms;
quite cheap for what you get and a nice alternative to lowpass filter
modulation.