[Fluxus] Building woes - SOLVED

Gabriel Peredo gabriel.peredo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 18:28:54 PST 2011

El mié, 19-01-2011 a las 11:21 +0100, gabor papp escribió:
> hi Gabriel,
>
> > I'm trying to build fluxus on Ubuntu 10.10 32 bits with the latest
> > (nightly) version of Racket, built from source, and I get the following
> > error when sconsing fluxus from git:
> i can't access a ubuntu 10.10 os at the moment, but could you try racket
> 5.0.2 instead of the nightly build? what's your gcc version?
>
> best,
> gabor

Well I've got it running now. Thank you all for your time. I tried some
of the examples and they are fantastic. The asteroids game was actually
entertaining!

For posterity and search engines, the steps for building fluxus on
Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) were:

        1. Try to download all the dependencies from the repository.
        Most notably, Racket is missing there and plt-scheme won't
        do it. Some care may be needed with jack. The dependencies are
        (mostly, I hope) below, with little attribution...

        2. I installed jackd2 and libjack-jack2-dev, along
        pulseaudio-module-jack, but I think jackd2 is unnecessary,
        but perhaps other packages are redundant too.

        No need to fiddle with Qjackctl (in fact, doing so only
        hindered me, I guess its use is  better left up to experts).
        It is recommended in various forums to say 'yes' when
        asked whether to give real-time  priority to jack during the
        installation, but I can do little more than parrot them.

        3. Download Racket 5.0.1's Unix source distribution from the
        main site and install it following the suggestions in fluxus'
        README. As of 2010-01-19, attempts to use later versions
        failed. In particular, pay attention to the prefix, as it
        will be needed later. This is by far the longest step.

        4. Finally build and install fluxus, which is rather quick.

        5. Look for your libgracket3m-5.0.1.so binary, most likely in
        (your prefix)/lib, but you can find out using

                        	$ whereis libracket3m-5.0.1.so

        put the path to directory that contains it in
        your /etc/ld.so.conf file and then issue

                                	$ sudo ldconfig

        so that fluxus may find the library it needs.

        And you're set.

The dependencies are the following, which is a modified excerpt from a
website called sync-signal, which was the first result on Google for the
search I made. I'm not linking it because important parts of the
tutorial are sadly incorrect, and will lead to a lot of wasted time,
despite the author's best intentions.

                # Basic dependencies
                sudo apt-get install build-essential git-core

                # Scheme Dependencies
                sudo apt-get install libxaw7-dev

                # Fluxus Dependencies.
                sudo apt-get install scons libtiff4-dev libode-dev
                libfftw3-dev libsndfile1-dev liblo0-dev libglew1.5-dev
                libfreetype6-dev libasound2-dev libglut3-dev
                libopenal-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libpng12-dev

                # Fluxus-video dependencies.
                sudo apt-get install libgstreamer0.10-dev
                libgstreamer0.10-dev libunicap2-dev libavformat-dev
                libswscale-dev

I don't know if there some missing. It has been a while since I last
began installing those build deps (this was not my first attempt).

Best regards,
Gabriel Peredo