[Fluxus] Fluxa questions

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 10:30:09 PST 2011

On 20/12/2011, Joel Matthys <joel at matthysmusic.com> wrote:
> Hi all. I've been messing with Fluxa, and it's really terrific. I just
> have a couple of questions.

Great!

> How do I adjust tempo? I've tried changing the tempo, bpb, and bpm-mult
> variables but I didn't notice any change.

Well, the return value of the function you hand to (seq ) sets the
time until the next note. This means that you can create a shuffle
using a last line that is something like this;

(if (even? clock) .1 .15)

Clearly you could also end the function with a variable called "beat"
that you might set using a bpm-based function.

> The implementation of (note) is pretty wonky. Non-integer values crash
> Fluxus, apparently because it's implemented as a look-up table.

Quite so. If you are using the Git version then there is a fix in my
branch called "redacted".
If not you will have to wait for Dave's review of that stuff. On the
plus side; I fixed a lot of bugs like this one (including type-checks
to prevent crashes) and added quite a few types of nodes.
On the down side this is my "teach yourself C++ in one million small
steps" project as well as my "let's try git" attempt so there may be a
issue or two. Those two factors may or may not combine well with
Dave's agenda...

> BTW, there was some question in the docs about whether it is "just
> temperament," but it's really "equal temperament." (Both this version
> and the existing Fluxa code.) I could contribute some tuning functions
> that implement other temperaments if you want.

Whoooops! Yes, that would be nice, but I agree with the source that
what we really need is import for scala files. That would immediately
sort out all complaints anyone could ever have about tunings. Would
you be up for that? If not some functions are better than no
functions, I feel.

I'm happy to see another Fluxa user, at this rate of growth we'll be
out of the single digits in no-time! ;¬)