[Fluxus] Fluxa questions

Joel Matthys joel at matthysmusic.com
Tue Dec 20 09:58:27 PST 2011

Hi all. I've been messing with Fluxa, and it's really terrific. I just
have a couple of questions.

How do I adjust tempo? I've tried changing the tempo, bpb, and bpm-mult
variables but I didn't notice any change.

The implementation of (note) is pretty wonky. Non-integer values crash
Fluxus, apparently because it's implemented as a look-up table. I've
been using a more robust (mtof) function that takes either a single
number or a list. It converts midi notes to frequencies (middle C = 60):

(define (mtof input [result '()])
  (cond ((number? input) (* 13.75 (expt 2 (/ (- input 9) 12))))
	((null? input) result)
	(else (mtof (cdr input)
		    (append result
			    (list (mtof (car input))))))))

BTW, there was some question in the docs about whether it is "just
temperament," but it's really "equal temperament." (Both this version
and the existing Fluxa code.) I could contribute some tuning functions
that implement other temperaments if you want.

Joel