[Fluxus] OSX 10.6 with JACK 0.88?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:37:29 PST 2011

On 15/12/2011, Richie Cyngler <glitchpop at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks very much for the replies,
>
> All helpful. I had my "stats" in the subject line but I see that didn't
> come through. So for clarity it's OSX 10.6.8 JACK 0.88 and I was using
> Fluxus 0.17. But now I'm installing 0.18 as per gabor's suggestion.

That was totally my fault, I just noticed and now I find it hard to
understand how I missed it.
Sorry.

> Kassen, I am interested in audio input and output. I can't find any
> information on Fluxus' internal synth, other than there is one.

It's optional part that should compile as "Fluxa". From memory I don't
think it depends on anything that Fluxus doesn't depend on.
It needs to be started seperately as it's its own binary, it gets
commands from Fluxus over OSC. From there on (help fluxa) will tell
you more. If that doesn't help; shout :-)

> The other
> question I had is once (if) I can get the internal synth working can I use
> it to drive the video or vice versa?

Yes, absolutely and this is a lot of fun.
All you need for this is to connect the output of Fluxa to the input
of Fluxus (as well as to your soundcard, of course).
That way you can have Fluxus react to the sounds and have scripts that
generate both sounds and images. This is a lot of fun and I strongly
recommend trying it. Trying this live is taxing (I tried and found it
a bit much) but it's a great way to spend a evening.

OSX isn't my specialty but Fluxa I know a thing or two about, ask if
you have questions there.