[Fluxus] rfc: (draw-line)

gabor papp gabor.lists at mndl.hu
Sat Oct 9 13:29:25 PDT 2010

> I haven't even seen the fluxus code, but I can't help but to wonder
> why should this be more complicated than
>
> glBegin(GL_LINES)
> glVertexfv(startVector);
> glVertexfv(endVector);
> glEnd();

of course, at the end the line rendering is something like this. but
fluxus has a more complex system. when you run (draw-cube) the cube is
not drawn in that exact moment. fluxus has a scene graph for storing
objects and their render states. you add objects to the scene graph with
(build-*) commands, and when you use (colour) for instance, you modify
the actual render state. (draw-*) commands are special. all (draw-*)
primitives are registered, and they are displayed after the scene graph
is rendered in every frame. so if you ran something like the code above
when (draw-line) is executed it would not produce anything visible,
because it would be overwritten by the rendering of the scene graph.

> By the way, would help be appreciated?
of course, you are more than welcome to join. you can check the bug and
task list at savannah to get started, or just propose and implement new
ideas.

best,