[Fluxus] rfc: (draw-line)

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 15:22:08 PDT 2010

On 8 October 2010 19:56, Tomas Neme <lacrymology at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't even seen the fluxus code, but I can't help but to wonder
> why should this be more complicated than
>
> glBegin(GL_LINES)
> glVertexfv(startVector);
> glVertexfv(endVector);
> glEnd();

I think it's clear that I'm out of my depth but I'd like to understand more
about it all so I'd like to participate in the discussion anyway :¬)

As I understand things the video-card (or software emulation) for Open GL
rendering takes a big array of vertices, polygons, etc, with lots of
parameters and figures out how to blast this on the screen more or less on
it's own. Since we are not really interested in preserving this data beyond
the current frame in this case, it sounds to me like it makes little sense
to build, then destroy, a underlying abstraction and we might as well send
the resultant data to the card directly, then forget about it. Do I
correctly understand that that's what is being proposed here? If so that
sounds like a good idea, as well as a way towards (draw-polygon) and
potentially other things.