[Fluxus] Hi and where (and what) are the examples?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:40:42 PDT 2010

Hey Stefan!

Nice to see you here too, welcome on board!

> I'll be using fluxus on Ubuntu (my OSX Jack installation confuses me), so
> if someone could tell me where to find the examples here I would be
> grateful. :)

I don't know about OSX but on Ubuntu the examples should be in a directory
in your Fluxus download. If they didn't come with your install (maybe they
don't come with the package?) you could download the source archive that
also includes them.

> The reason I'm getting desperate for the examples right now is I'm reading
> about build-pixels and pixels-upload (page 29), and I don't quite understand
> how to put these kinds of textures on my 3D objects. I found some files
> under collects/fluxus-016 on the Mac, but I'm not sure these answer my
> question.

What I tend to do when unsure about anything is switch to the repl (ctrl+0)
and type (help foo) where "foo" is the function I'd like to know about. The
nice thing is that this also helps if you forgot how to spell "foo" as
fluxus will give options if you only got it approximately right. The
explanations that this gives often also include examples you can run. Just
move the cursor up, highlight the code, then past to a empty editor screen.

Aside from the Fluxus help and manual I suggest bookmarking this;
http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/index.html

> Anyway, this here is a very interesting and good-looking framework. And
> it's fun learning Scheme! I'm not sure what I'll be doing here, but I'm
> enjoying myself nonetheless. :)

Yay! I found Fluxus to be very conductive to just starting and gradually
discovering what you are building. If you like join the "fluxus.scm" pool on
Flickr and post screenshots as you go along. This is fun for all and later
it'll be nice to see how you developed.