[Fluxus] 'polygon

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Mar 2 12:17:37 PST 2010

Hi Kassen,

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:21 +0100, Kassen wrote:

> Is this correct? If so I'd like to propose a note to this effect in
> the docs because I got the impression that something like a flat
> outline of something like the letter "H" (but no "O") could be made
> using the 'polygon type.

Nope - convex polygons only. Any concave bits will be filled in.

> My current plan is to go back to using blocks and faking the outline
> with a unlit ribbon, does that make sense in this case? Right now I'm
> hoping that that technique will work as I'm starting to suspect I will
> want to outline some curves without sectioning all polygons that they
> are made up of. Ribbon should be more versatile there than basing the
> wire-frame on the objects themselves in cases like that.

I had exactly this problem a few weeks ago and had to connect fake
wireframes out of ribbons as you describe. It's time consuming though -
I made a script to display the vertex indices of a polygon object to
make it easier. I'll try and publish some of this as soon as I can.

The other alternative is some sort of shader, colour dependant on the
continuity of the surface so the corners change colour or something more
or less like that. It probably won't look as good.