[Fluxus] 'polygon

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 02:21:32 PST 2010

Dear list,

I just spend a lot of time with (build-polygons n 'polygon). I was under the
impression that this could build arbitrary shapes, provided those were
closed and in a single plane. My plan was to draw more complex shapes (like
the archetypical castle-wall shapes) procedurally. I went with this, instead
of building such shapes out of smaller blocks like before, so I'd be able to
use (hint-wire) to get nice comic-book-style lines.

This didn't go so well, I got all sorts of weird edges and inverted normals,
at first I blamed those on myself; it's easy to miss a vertex or two or
forget about some function when you are using rather experimental methods to
set tens of points in a fairly complicated way, hoping to create a single
face. Finally I resolved that 'polygon works exactly like 'triangle-fan
except for how it reacts to (hint-wire).

Is this correct? If so I'd like to propose a note to this effect in the docs
because I got the impression that something like a flat outline of something
like the letter "H" (but no "O") could be made using the 'polygon type. My
current plan is to go back to using blocks and faking the outline with a
unlit ribbon, does that make sense in this case? Right now I'm hoping that
that technique will work as I'm starting to suspect I will want to outline
some curves without sectioning all polygons that they are made up of. Ribbon
should be more versatile there than basing the wire-frame on the objects
themselves in cases like that.