[Fluxus] fluxa notes

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Feb 17 02:25:30 PST 2010

Hi Kassen,

Just quickly...

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 02:58 +0100, Kassen wrote:

> I've -rather casually- been experimenting with fluxa over the past 2
> hours or so.
> So far I like it a lot. The current state is rather rudimentary but it
> is a lot of fun to have both graphics and sound in the same interface
> and syntax, especially when feeding the output of fluxa back into
> fluxus.
>

> Some notes though;
> It seems like a "node" is not a valid parameter to hand to the
> frequency setting of other nodes.

It should always be possible to do things like this - (sine (mul 500
(sine 4)))

> In a related case I was expecting "(mul a b)" to also extend to "(mul
> a b c)" since "(* foo bar)" does that in scheme to "(* foo bar baz)".

Yep. That keeps on annoying me too and I will fix it soon.

> More fundamentally; fluxa seems to be quite temperamental to me,
> throwing seg-faults on more or less random occasions. My last seemed
> to coincide with rotating between desktops in compiz fusion. Such
> crashes seem to demand re-starting all of jack, fluxus and fluxa. Is
> any of that normal? Is there some order to
> re-starting/re-initialising those that will keep downtime to a minimum
> and -preferably- keep my code buffers in scratchpad alive?

If you also need to restart jack it could well be that the whizzbang
compiz effects are killing jack - fluxa may well segfault if jack
disappears.

> How are people using fluxa in practice?

With scheme bricks - lots of work to be done on all this soon.