[Fluxus] fluxa notes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 04:25:03 PST 2010

On 17 February 2010 11:25, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:

> Hi Kassen,

Hey, Dave!

> It should always be possible to do things like this - (sine (mul 500
> (sine 4)))

In that case I did something wrong, most likely, thanks.

>  > In a related case I was expecting "(mul a b)" to also extend to "(mul
> > a b c)" since "(* foo bar)" does that in scheme to "(* foo bar baz)".
>
> Yep. That keeps on annoying me too and I will fix it soon.

Great.

> If you also need to restart jack it could well be that the whizzbang
> compiz effects are killing jack - fluxa may well segfault if jack
> disappears.

Not killing Jack, it's more subtle. For one thing both fluxa and
fluxus disappear as Jack clients from the patchbay together or on their own.
I can't get Fluxus to re-show once that happens without re-starting it.
Re-running my .fluxus.scm, which makes the connection, doesn't help when
that happens. Fluxa just seg-faults in its own window and needs to be quit.
When something like this happens nothing short of restarting it all helps.

To be clear; I run these by starting Jack, starting fluxus, then starting
fluxa in its own terminal window and having fluxus connect to it with
(require fluxus-016/fluxa). Then once it all runs connecting the fluxa out
to the fluxus in in the jack patchbay.

I'll disable compiz and keep a eye out for more detailed symptoms. I don't
really need compiz, just use the "desktop-cube" as i found it makes it more
intuitive to remember what desktop was where.

> > How are people using fluxa in practice?
>
> With scheme bricks - lots of work to be done on all this soon.

 Very good. I'll just keep at it and send notes here.

Thanks,