[Fluxus] fluxa notes

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:58:10 PST 2010

Dear list.

I've -rather casually- been experimenting with fluxa over the past 2 hours
or so.
So far I like it a lot. The current state is rather rudimentary but it is a
lot of fun to have both graphics and sound in the same interface and syntax,
especially when feeding the output of fluxa back into fluxus.

Some notes though;
It seems like a "node" is not a valid parameter to hand to the frequency
setting of other nodes. This is fine; I'm used to that in ChucK where a UGen
is quite unlike the last value calculated by that UGen. However there
doesn't seem to be a way to modulate the frequency of a started note in
fluxa at all (for example by another oscillator to create fm). Am I missing
something here and if not could such techniques be contemplated as a option?
I'm not even sure whether we can name nodes that will calculate values
without connecting them to the final output directly.

In a related case I was expecting "(mul a b)" to also extend to "(mul a b
c)" since "(* foo bar)" does that in scheme to "(* foo bar baz)".

More fundamentally; fluxa seems to be quite temperamental to me, throwing
seg-faults on more or less random occasions. My last seemed to coincide with
rotating between desktops in compiz fusion. Such crashes seem to demand
re-starting all of jack, fluxus and fluxa. Is any of that normal? Is there
some order to
re-starting/re-initialising those that will keep downtime to a minimum and
-preferably- keep my code buffers in scratchpad alive?

How are people using fluxa in practice?