[Fluxus] getting there osc-recursion-

geoffroy tremblay gef at ponnuki.net
Fri Dec 31 00:56:36 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:03 AM, David Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 23:44 -0800, geoffroy tremblay wrote:
>> I was able to get value from an osc device (nds with dsmi)
>
> Interesting. I'll have to try this - fwiw I have a version of
> betablocker for livecoding the ds:
> http://www.pawfal.org/dave/index.cgi?Projects/BetablockerDS

thanks will try it out -- didn't boot on the first try

>> - and I was
>> trying to emulate the movement of the mouse with the camera - I
>> attached a camera to an object then trying to use the osc values to
>> move around. can I accomplish the same effect with the camera move
>> than the normal mouse camera ?
>>
>> would I use rotate for the left click
>> the translate for the middle click
>> and the set-ortho zoom for the right click
>> (in my code right now I only loaded some movement but nothing really nice)
>
> Sounds about right (although if you have a perspective mode then move
> the camera along the z for right click). For reference, the code is in
> fluxus/modules/scheme/camera.ss there is some quaternion stuff for the
> camera rotation.
>
>> also the osc is quite laggy - is there some better to get the osc
>> data?
>
> Yes, this is a common problem - at the moment you are reading only one
> message per frame, it's likely that you are receiving much more than
> that. The messages are queued in fluxus so you can look at each one and
> avoid missing any.
>
> I use something like this for only reading the most recent message each
> frame (or a default value if there is no message):
>
> (define (osc-recent path value)
>    (if (osc-msg path)
>        (osc-recent path (osc 0))
>        value))

yeah I read about that - to take only the last message of everyframe -
make sense to me I prefer to drop osc message than to queue them...

>> I am also moving around a recursion - and taking input from the audio
>> in -  and it seems out of sync - is there someway to create a faster
>> connection with jack ? or is it just computer power that will help
>> that ?
>
> Try reducing your audio buffer size.

thanks will try

By the way there seems to be some spam on the site :

http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=AlJazari