[Fluxus] getting there osc-recursion-

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Dec 31 00:03:47 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 23:44 -0800, geoffroy tremblay wrote:
> I was able to get value from an osc device (nds with dsmi)

Interesting. I'll have to try this - fwiw I have a version of
betablocker for livecoding the ds:
http://www.pawfal.org/dave/index.cgi?Projects/BetablockerDS

> - and I was
> trying to emulate the movement of the mouse with the camera - I
> attached a camera to an object then trying to use the osc values to
> move around. can I accomplish the same effect with the camera move
> than the normal mouse camera ?
>
> would I use rotate for the left click
> the translate for the middle click
> and the set-ortho zoom for the right click
> (in my code right now I only loaded some movement but nothing really nice)

Sounds about right (although if you have a perspective mode then move
the camera along the z for right click). For reference, the code is in
fluxus/modules/scheme/camera.ss there is some quaternion stuff for the
camera rotation.

> also the osc is quite laggy - is there some better to get the osc
> data?

Yes, this is a common problem - at the moment you are reading only one
message per frame, it's likely that you are receiving much more than
that. The messages are queued in fluxus so you can look at each one and
avoid missing any.

I use something like this for only reading the most recent message each
frame (or a default value if there is no message):

(define (osc-recent path value)
    (if (osc-msg path)
        (osc-recent path (osc 0))
        value))

> I am also moving around a recursion - and taking input from the audio
> in -  and it seems out of sync - is there someway to create a faster
> connection with jack ? or is it just computer power that will help
> that ?

Try reducing your audio buffer size.