[Fluxus] MIDI clock

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 08:21:01 PST 2010

Hey, Greg!

I've tried to find a sequencer which sends such messages. No luck with
> RoseGarden and Ableton Live!

I think that's a part of "MIDI time code", not "clock", and that it was used
back when people wanted to link hardware sequencer workstations. I think I
have a old hardware sequencer here that uses them, but I'd have to look. I
think it's safe to assume that stuff doesn't need to have any priority. At
all. I haven't hear of anyone ever using it either, I just know it from out
of the way parts of user manuals and so on. Don't lose any sleep over that.

> I suggest to add two new function midi-set-signature, that takes a pair
> (upper, lower), and (midi-signature), that returns a similar pair, right
> now.
> The default signature is and still will be 4/4.

Makes perfect sense. Things like Ableton or the Korg Electribes demand that
to be set manually as well.

> Later, if I can find proofs the time signature message is used somewhere on
> this planet, write some code so that the signature can be modified from the
> outside...

I woudln't wait for that. :¬)

> Is it OK?
>
> Am I right in understanding that like this there is still a single function
that returns the position of the MIDI clock and that you couldn't sync one
part of your code to quarter notes while another syncs to triplets? If so I
think we are throwing potentially useful data away. If so I think I'd like
to stick to my earlier remarks. However; if nobody but me much cares about
that perspective I'll have to let them go. It's not my call.

Clearly what you have now is better than what we had before!