[Fluxus] MIDI clock

gowiththeflow at free.fr gowiththeflow at free.fr
Fri Dec 10 09:54:40 PST 2010

----- Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> a écrit :

> > Am I right in understanding that like this there is still a single function
> that returns the position of the MIDI clock and that you couldn't sync one
> part of your code to quarter notes while another syncs to triplets?

Hmm you could use (midi-signature) to decide which portion of the script should be used.

It would be easy to make a script totally signature-independent: just forget beat and clock are discrete values and convert to floats between 0.0 and 1.0... Or combine both values to get a single float.
Example: the (3 2 6) position in 4/4 (4 beats by bar, and a beat equals a quarter note or 24 clocks) could be converted to (3 0.5 0.25) or even (3 0.5625)

The "artistic" nature of the script will determine if discrete or continuous values are better (e.g. if sth noticeable should happen every beat, or if it's a smooth animation)...

Maybe should I provide (midi-clocks-per-beat) and (midi-beats-per-bar) instead of or together with (midi-signature)!

--
    G.