[Fluxus] MIDI clock

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:55:33 PST 2010

>  i mean we hardcode magic numbers that 24 pulses are 1 beat
>>

> That's safe, I think. The internal resolution of devices may of course be
> higher, and often is. 96 pulses per quarter note isn't uncommon.

Let me clarify this a bit more; it's 24 pulses per quarter note, not per
"beat". How this is interpreted is up to the composer and the listener. MIDI
lacks a way to convey either of the numbers in a normal time-signature
indication and only conveys the passing of time relative to quarter notes
(or sixteenth, or....).

Higher level information needs to be agreed on by all participants by (gasp
:¬) ) actually talking with each other and entered manually into all
devices. Most of the time this poses no issues because the devices will
still be set to the exact settings that Greg assumed and 4/4 at 100 to 200
bpm is lots of fun. These would be good defaults, but waltzing and 5/8 can
be great fun as well.