[Fluxus] MIDI clock

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:19:20 PST 2010

>>>  i don't know much about this, but is it ok to make an assumption like
>> this?

Good point

> i mean we hardcode magic numbers that 24 pulses are 1 beat

That's safe, I think. The internal resolution of devices may of course be
higher, and often is. 96 pulses per quarter note isn't uncommon.

> and 4 beats are 1 bar.

That's not safe; you can waltz, if you'd like, for example. Actually I don't
think MIDI has anything to say about this. What does happen is MIDI
periodically (say every 8 bars) sending a pulse to indicate the start of the
pattern, grooveboxes and drum machines typically do this. I think the "clock
start" message is used for that, from memory. This might need to be a global
variable.

Sadly MIDI clock is more like a metronome in the room than like notes on
sheet-music or netclock.