[Fluxus] MIDI clock

gowiththeflow at free.fr gowiththeflow at free.fr
Wed Dec 8 02:55:10 PST 2010

----- Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> a écrit :
> Hey, Greg.
> (previously I couldn't find a "real" name so I assumed "G" might refer to
> your login, I'd apologise if I didn't feel "Go" would be a perfectly fine
> first name as well :¬) ).

No problem, I found "Go" very funny :)

> I'm fairly sure that we could, if we wanted to. Racket does have quite
> elaborate facilities for dealing with times and dates and so on. I dived
> into the part of Fluxa that deals with that lately, and those parts are
> plain Scheme code. If there are issues like Windows not dealing with Unix
> time that code on it's own makes no provisions for those (as far as I could
> see). I also don't believe that Fluxa supports Windows right now.

I've very quickly read the code of RtMidi yesterday, time-stamping is platform-dependent (Win/MacOS/Linux).

> That said; your documentation looked quite clear and clean without these
> stamps. Maybe Fluxa needs some sort of abstraction that could make use of
> rtMidi as well as -say- netclock to pick various types of sync. There are
> some provisions for "Slub sync" but they were beyond me. I'm not even sure
> how others use Fluxa; I tried it "straight" and suddenly understood where
> SchemeBricks came from. Which isn't to say that straight Fluxa isn't great
> fun.

To tell the truth, I've discovered what fluxa is yesterday after receiving your e-mail.
I've just played a bit with fluxus, because I'm curious, but that's all.
I'm a DJ (leaving Serato to concentrate on Ableton) and I've done a few parties with Ted. Until now the only way we had to sync music and images was through signal analysis, but it's a bit rough...
That's why we needed MIDI sync :)
After a quick look at fluxus-midi, it was obvious it would be easy and quick to implement, so I did it.

I didn't plan to do anything else in fluxus, but why not!
The only thing is I can't dedicate all my free time to fluxus. Adding MIDI sync was a very precisely defined task.
If people using fluxa want me to add time stamps or whatever, they'll have to explain me precisely their needs.
Chime in, folks! :)

> That seems like a likely thing now, yes. Oh, well, I feel less guilty about
> my own magic numbers now that we know Gary has them too, and MIDI
> implementations do tend towards them. A reply there would be good as the
> alternative would be a bit impractical.

Well, in the case of RtMidi, they're not magic: the first byte of the message determines the length of the message (except for SysEx).
Be ashamed. ;)

> Either way I'm excited by this idea.

:)