[Fluxus] MIDI clock

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 14:35:18 PST 2010

Hey, Greg.
(previously I couldn't find a "real" name so I assumed "G" might refer to
your login, I'd apologise if I didn't feel "Go" would be a perfectly fine
first name as well :¬) ).

> - how can we convert this time stamp to a value that can be compared to
> (time)?

I'm fairly sure that we could, if we wanted to. Racket does have quite
elaborate facilities for dealing with times and dates and so on. I dived
into the part of Fluxa that deals with that lately, and those parts are
plain Scheme code. If there are issues like Windows not dealing with Unix
time that code on it's own makes no provisions for those (as far as I could
see). I also don't believe that Fluxa supports Windows right now.

That said; your documentation looked quite clear and clean without these
stamps. Maybe Fluxa needs some sort of abstraction that could make use of
rtMidi as well as -say- netclock to pick various types of sync. There are
some provisions for "Slub sync" but they were beyond me. I'm not even sure
how others use Fluxa; I tried it "straight" and suddenly understood where
SchemeBricks came from. Which isn't to say that straight Fluxa isn't great
fun.

> Not sure how long ago you send this. In my experience Gary does reply to
> such issues but sometimes it takes a bit.
>
> 11 or 12 days...

hmmmmmm.

This may be a copy-paste error from another part of the code:

That seems like a likely thing now, yes. Oh, well, I feel less guilty about
my own magic numbers now that we know Gary has them too, and MIDI
implementations do tend towards them. A reply there would be good as the
alternative would be a bit impractical.

Either way I'm excited by this idea.