[Fluxus] MIDI clock

Greg gowiththeflow at free.fr
Tue Dec 7 13:57:34 PST 2010

On 07/12/2010 20:10, Kassen wrote:
> One thing I'd be interested in is using this to sync Fluxa's "(seq )"
> to other musicians. For that kind of thing we might also need
> something like a timestamp of when the actual message was received and
> probably a "latency offset" that we could set on a per-system basis in
> .fluxus.scm

Interesting. All MIDI messages are time-stamped by RtMidi. The time
stamp is not used by fluxus' MIDI listener, but it's possible. We have a
few problems here:
- what's the meaning of this timestamp?
- is this meaning platform-dependent?
- how can we convert this time stamp to a value that can be compared to
(time)?

I need to experiment...

>     I've also found what I think is a bug in RtMidi :
>

> Not sure how long ago you send this. In my experience Gary does reply
> to such issues but sometimes it takes a bit.
11 or 12 days...

> I do find this a bit of a odd error to make by mistake. Couldn't it be
> that rtMidi was assuming all messages are three bytes? I'm asking
> because I know that ChucK also uses rtMidi and does that. Sending 1
> byte messages is possible there (not receiving) but you have to use
> two padding bytes. That might, of course, be a ChucK issue, not a
> rtMidi one. I commented on that several times and proposed some
> possible solutions but didn't get a clear reply.

This may be a copy-paste error from another part of the code:

         else if ( status < 0xF3 ) {
           if ( status == 0xF1 && (data->ignoreFlags & 0x02) ) {
             // A MIDI time code message and we're ignoring it.
             size = 0;
             iByte += 3;
           }
           else size = 3;