[Fluxus] MIDI clock

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:10:35 PST 2010

> Hi guys,

Hey Go!

> I've added MIDI sync to fluxus. I've defined a new function,
> (midi-position), which returns a vector #(bar beat clock)
> bar is, well, the bar number (0 to infinite)

Sounds lovely!

> If you're OK, Ted will add this to git. Suggestions of improvement are
> welcome.

One thing I'd be interested in is using this to sync Fluxa's "(seq )" to
other musicians. For that kind of thing we might also need something like a
timestamp of when the actual message was received and probably a "latency
offset" that we could set on a per-system basis in .fluxus.scm

> I've also found what I think is a bug in RtMidi :
>
>        else if ( status == 0xF8 ) {
>          size = 1;
>          if ( data->ignoreFlags & 0x02 ) {
>            // A MIDI timing tick message and we're ignoring it.
>            size = 0;
>            iByte += 3;
>          }
>
> I think it should be "iByte += 1;"...
>
> I've contacted Gary P. Scavone but got no reply from him... Should this fix
> also be commited to git?

Not sure how long ago you send this. In my experience Gary does reply to
such issues but sometimes it takes a bit.

I do find this a bit of a odd error to make by mistake. Couldn't it be that
rtMidi was assuming all messages are three bytes? I'm asking because I know
that ChucK also uses rtMidi and does that. Sending 1 byte messages is
possible there (not receiving) but you have to use two padding bytes. That
might, of course, be a ChucK issue, not a rtMidi one. I commented on that
several times and proposed some possible solutions but didn't get a clear
reply.

At any rate; good job!