[Fluxus] font.png

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Sat Aug 21 13:54:42 PDT 2010

Hi Kassen,

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 01:18 +0200, Kassen wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> The docs for (build-text) refer to "font.png" in several places.
> However, I could not find this file with my Fluxus things, or for that
> matter any file named "font.png" that worked with (build-text) on all
> of my system.
>
> On the bright side; google image-search found me
> this; http://www.pawfal.org/flotsam/betablocker/font.png
>

> I believe that must be the correct one (well.... it works), and I feel
> that it (or something like it) should be installed in
> the /materials/textures/ directory of the distribution
>  because the current situation is really quite confusing. (build-type)
> has all sorts of nice options

I've just added this to git. Not sure at what point it disappeared,
perhaps it was never there...

> While I was poking around at this I found (help text-params). This one
> vaguely hints at converting between fonts and textures...but that it
> shouldn't be used. Does this imply we could automatically make our own
> my_font.png from a ttf file?

That font texture png came from an ogre project iirc, which used to have
a tool that rendered a ttf into a texture map, but this seems to have
been removed (according to a casual google search, perhaps it's still
out there somewhere).

Of course, these days it would be possible to render a font map texture
from a ttf with fluxus using the type primitive.

text-params was something I added during at the last minute on a TGV
train before the first performance of scheme bricks in an attempt to
make the build-text font it uses more readable by exposing all the
texture mapping parameters for tweaking.

Done properly this stuff would be metadata added to the texture - which
would also allow things like proportional characters.

So to recap - build-text is very old code, but can still be useful for
debugging and general hacky, or small text, build-type does things
properly but is a bit slower and results in real geometry.