[Fluxus] font.png

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 14:26:44 PDT 2010

I've just added this to git. Not sure at what point it disappeared,
> perhaps it was never there...

I remember looking for it before, but then I was less sure about myself in
fluxus and blamed it on myself.

> That font texture png came from an ogre project iirc, which used to have
> a tool that rendered a ttf into a texture map, but this seems to have
> been removed (according to a casual google search, perhaps it's still
> out there somewhere).
>
> Of course, these days it would be possible to render a font map texture
> from a ttf with fluxus using the type primitive.

Yeah, we  could write a script for that, that might be useful.

> text-params was something I added during at the last minute on a TGV
> train before the first performance of scheme bricks in an attempt to
> make the build-text font it uses more readable by exposing all the
> texture mapping parameters for tweaking.
>
> Done properly this stuff would be metadata added to the texture - which
> would also allow things like proportional characters.

But, oddly, the "font.png" that comes with scheme-bricks doesn't work with
(build-text), at least not for me; I tried that when poking around at this.

> So to recap - build-text is very old code, but can still be useful for
> debugging and general hacky, or small text,

Yeah, but as I'm sure you saw; I've been trying my hand at a hackish type of
debugging for Fluxus tonight :-).

> build-type does things
> properly but is a bit slower and results in real geometry.

Indeed, and I was going for speed as I didn't want to add more expensive
stuff to my .fluxus.scm

As a side note; extruded text has issues with this font;
http://www.sonicteam.com/rez/e/backstage/kit.html

The issues I noticed so far were with the "x" and the "k", there are likely
more. It seems that some of the normals are inverted on the extruded form.
Now this is not a especially great font, but it's the Rez font and as I read
it the license we can use it non-commercially as long as we credit
SonicTeam/Sega. I'm sure I'm not the only one dis-proportionately exited
about using the Rez font in fluxus :-).