[Fluxus] pdata-size extending?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 03:35:01 PDT 2010

Hey, Gabor!

> yes, i think it's not possible. although if you want to subdivide your
> object, you would also need to delete some faces. i would do this by copying
> the primitive data to a new object as you sugggest.

I think I might try that. I figured that instead of deleting a face I could
just deform it, then add two new ones.

More generally; I do think adding polygons to existing objects would be fun
for procedural/generative modelling but maybe the current way is quite
"scheme-ish", after all that's what we do with lists too. Maybe it's
consistent with the rest?

> on the other hand, dave registered a task on savannah about making a
> subdivision primitive. so it might happen sometime.

It's a exciting sort of thing, I've been wondering about this sort of thing;
doing stuff like taking a shape (a cube or something), defining some plane
through it and "cutting" it along that plane so we get two half cube.
Perhaps also merging two objects or subtracting one from the other.

> if you want to create lakes on a sphere, why don't you use a pixel
> primitive as a texture?

Good question... I'm not sure yet.

One of the advantages of this deformation trick would be that I could
texture or deform the "water sphere", then rotate that around the centre for
some cheap waves. I could also make it a bit transparent for fishes or
submarines... but then I also want to look into doing textures like that.

I'll just keep playing with it. Another option might be focussing on how the
issue might not be a real lack of polygons but how the polygons are in a
grid; maybe strategically deforming the grid might do as well. Not sure yet.

Thanks!