[Fluxus] emacs, osc, etc...

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Mar 25 04:25:50 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 12:01 +0100, chris kummerer wrote:
> since I've got a little more time recently I'd like to play around with
> fluxus once again and see how far it's gotten in the meantime. I have a
> few (hopefully simple) questions though.
>
> How can an I use emacs with fluxus ? (no offense to the livecodedisplaying
> idea but I spent way too much time bashing emacs into shape, I (semi-live)
> code all the supercollider stuff there too so it would be just a perfect
> fit.

The livecode editor is not really meant for general purpose programming,
although I tend to use it that way, I also use drscheme when I need
exotic things like search/replace :)

I haven't tried this, but I think emacs should still be usable via
mred/drflux, but it might need some tweaking. This might help:
http://lists.pawfal.org/htdig.cgi/fluxus-pawfal.org/2007-November/001131.html
Let us know your conclusions.

> I'm pretty much a non-schemer (so far) so this might be a rather stupid
> question, why can't I do sth. like:
>
> (cond (osc-msg "/whatever" (eval (osc 0))))

Ah, the alternative of dangerously executing arbitrary code over osc :)

(eval) takes a list which isn't an osc type so you want something like
(eval-string (osc 0)) which is provided by mzlib/string.

You can also handle errors yourself so you don't need to restart the
polling script each time:
http://www.pawfal.org/dave/blog/2009/01/open-trapdoor/