[Fluxus] git, names and jack ports

Jeff Rose rosejn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 03:55:02 PDT 2008

A couple easy ones:

* Are there a public git repositories for fluxus and the livenoisetools?

* Is there another list for livenoisetools development, or is this the
place?

I've just got my new monitors and an Edirol FA-66 firewire interface
setup and working with jack (oh the pain), but it doesn't work with the
livenoise stuff because the jack ports are named system:playback_1 and 2
instead of alsa_pcm:playback_1 and 2.  I think this is because of a new
alsa version.

It works if I change the hard-coded lines setting the jack output port:

     Jack->ConnectOutput(Left,"system:playback_1");

So maybe ConnectOutput should return a value if it fails or not, so we
can try system: if alsa_pcm: fails?  That should cover the old and new
versions without needing commandline args.

This also got me thinking that it would be nice to auto-setup port
numbers rather than having to keep track of things and specify it on the
command line.  How about using default ports for tools like Itchy and
Scratchy (or is it noiselab, noiseweapon?)  If multiple instances is
typical each one could get a range of ports where each instance grabs
the first available.  Probably not necessary for now.

If either or both of these sound good I can make my git repo available
for pulling, or figure out how to make CVS patches.

-Jeff

P.S.  I'm still planning on hacking the editor to use scheme, but I
wanted to get everything up and running first so I can have some fun in
the meantime...