[Fluxus] git, names and jack ports

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Sep 2 05:31:02 PDT 2008

> A couple easy ones:
>
> * Are there a public git repositories for fluxus and the livenoisetools?

Not yet - savannah has git repos availible, so I added a task to look into
switching: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?8507
As long as we keep all the history, I'm all for it. Do you want savannah
access?

> * Is there another list for livenoisetools development, or is this the
> place?
>
> I've just got my new monitors and an Edirol FA-66 firewire interface
> setup and working with jack (oh the pain), but it doesn't work with the
> livenoise stuff because the jack ports are named system:playback_1 and 2
> instead of alsa_pcm:playback_1 and 2.  I think this is because of a new
> alsa version.
>
> It works if I change the hard-coded lines setting the jack output port:
>
>      Jack->ConnectOutput(Left,"system:playback_1");
>
> So maybe ConnectOutput should return a value if it fails or not, so we
> can try system: if alsa_pcm: fails?  That should cover the old and new
> versions without needing commandline args.
>
> This also got me thinking that it would be nice to auto-setup port
> numbers rather than having to keep track of things and specify it on the
> command line.  How about using default ports for tools like Itchy and
> Scratchy (or is it noiselab, noiseweapon?)  If multiple instances is
> typical each one could get a range of ports where each instance grabs
> the first available.  Probably not necessary for now.
>
> If either or both of these sound good I can make my git repo available
> for pulling, or figure out how to make CVS patches.

I think the official line from me is that you should switch to using fluxa.

As well as fixing this issue (being able to set the jack ports on the
commandline), I intend supporting/documenting it properly - rather than
itchy and scratchy which were much more quick fixes for my personal needs
:)

Is there some feature of these apps which you absolutely need? Most of the
dsp code in fluxa is exactly the same, but it's interface is very
different - I intend to make it more compatible, but time is as ever the
issue...

> P.S.  I'm still planning on hacking the editor to use scheme, but I
> wanted to get everything up and running first so I can have some fun in
> the meantime...

Kewl!