[Fluxus] visual programming fluxus

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Nov 25 07:38:35 PST 2008

>> I've started working on a visual programming language idea for
>> fluxus, and scheme generally:
>> http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=SchemeBricks
> this is great. a collegue of mine kept telling me awhile ago why it is
> not possible to change numbers in the fluxus scratchpad by the mouse
> wheel while putting the cursor over them. this must be some kind of
> visual programming thing and i don't really understand the need for it,
> but it seems it is quite close :). congrats.
>
>> Whether it's actually easier than using text and parentheses is
>> debatable, but it might serve as an interesting way to introduce
>> people to the idea.
> yes, i managed to make it work in fluxus and showed it to a couple of
> people, and i got similar a comment. on the other hand, it's really
> impressive.

I'm glad you managed to have a go with it!

There are lots of things I want to add to make it easier to use - and make
it look a bit less 'labcoat' too :) My hope is that there is something
possible with this form of programming which isn't with ascii - or that it
may be useful for getting people to understand the structural nature of
the code easier. I've found that I'm used to seeing the structure of
scheme programs with parentheses, but that it took a long time to be able
to do this (and watching how newbies program it in workshops brings it
back to me). Mainly of course, it might just be fun for livecoding...