[Fluxus] Notes on how to install Fluxus on Ubuntu

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Sun Oct 14 12:18:50 PDT 2007

Hi Iain,

> 2) Installed package "jackd"
>
> 3) Install application "Jack control"
> (Jack control panel appears in sound)
>
> 4) Install libode0c2 and libode0-dev
>
> 5) Install "scons" package
>
> 6) Install "libglew-dev" package (glew already installed)
>
> 7) Install fftw3 and fftw3-dev
>
> 8) Install libsndfile1-dev (libsndfile1 already installed)
>
> 9) install liblo0-dev and liblo0
>
> 15) Install libxext-dev
>
> 16) install libxt-dev
>
> 17) install libxaw7-dev

It's interesting that you didn't need to install any of these from
source, we should be able to make a debian package soon.

> 18) Download PLT scheme from
> http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/files/plt-369.10-src-unix.tgz

The official 370 should really be used now - but there isn't much
difference if you already have it running.

> 19) Unpack and cd in to "src" in unpacked archive
>
> 20) ./configure --enable-shared --prefix=/usr/local
>
> 21) make
>
> 22) sudo make install
>
> 23) Install libjpeg62-dev
>
> 24) Install libtiff4-dev
>
> 25) Install libfreetype6-dev
>
> 26) Install libpng12-dev
>
> 27) Install libjack0.100.0-dev
>
> 28) Install freeglut3-dev libglut3-dev
>
> 29) Download and unpack fluxus
>
> 30) cd to fluxus dir
>
> 31) scons
>
> 32) sudo scons install
>
> 33) Update library path. NOTE: This is a funny on BSD and Ubuntu -
> they don't treat /usr/local/lib as a standard library path. Choose a
> better editor than "vi" if you don't already know how to use it.
> cd /etc
> sudo vi ld.so.conf
> insert line "/usr/local/lib"
>
> 34) sudo ldconfig

I have this in my ld.so.conf:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

I think in this case the path needs to be added to whatever is in that
directory (which is architecture dependant)

Another way of doing it (what I'm doing at the moment) is to set the
environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib before running
fluxus (it's in my .bashrc).