[Fluxus] Newbie Fluxus Questions

Iain Sharp sharpie7 at pinedragon.com
Sat Oct 13 09:46:55 PDT 2007

All,

So I've just got Fluxus running on Ubuntu (see previous email). Quite excited to explore the language and the graphics capabilities.

A few questions though:

1) How to get Fluxus v0.13 working with the DrScheme editor? Based on the email on this list I tried just putting
(require drfluxus)
at the start of the script, but it generated the error
"require: unknown module: drfluxus"
Is there a path or something that needs updating perhaps?

BTW the web site needs an update on this.

2) Is there a "right" way in Fluxus/Scheme to do things like build filters with a damping impact? My first thought is just to use a global variable to hold the past value of the filter, but if I was going to do this I might just as well be working in Basic.

I suppose I am still trying to get my head around what it is and isn't possible to do in a stateless way and how to handle state info when I do need it.

3) I don't ever see myself getting used to Scheme's syntax for writing arithmetic expressions. Is there such a thing as a kludge function that does a "never mind all this functional programing, just evalute this algebraic expression" thing?

4) On my laptop (Intel integrated graphics) Fluxus core-dumps randomly quite often. On my desktop (Nvidia graphics) it seems OK so far. Any thoughts on this?

5) Is it possible to get the help text as an archive so I can browse it off-line?

6) Would I be right in thinking that the "built" objects are preferred to the "drawn" objects for doing anything non-trivial? Any restrictions on mixing "built" and "drawn" in the same environment?

7) Any pointers on how to use the physics package? I don't really know how to get started there.

Regards

Iain