[fluxus] physical model sumo fighters

Artem Baguinski artm at v2.nl
Thu May 3 00:42:09 PDT 2007

On 02/05/07, andersvi at extern.uio.no <andersvi at extern.uio.no> wrote:

>     d> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 18:48 +0200, andersvi at extern.uio.no
>     d> wrote:
>     >> Anybody tried to do similar things with fluxus?
>     >>
>     >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvq3-oG5BM
>     >>
>     >> Seems theyve managed to pack all that ecology inside a 96K
>     >> game, mainly because of letting physical models behave.
>
>     d> the best thing about that project is that it's one of the few
>     d> cases of really funny games. why isn't there more
>     d> (deliberately) humorous digital art?
>
> Indeed.  But what is it about this that makes it so funny?  Does
> humour necessarily relate to human bodies in some manner?

i would think humour relates to human traits - bodies, behaviours,
society, politics etc. take some traits you care about, analize what
constitutes them, amplify the constituents and smooth out the
irrelevant details - and you may have something funny. or not.

when people make jokes or comedies or whatever they perform that
process partially subconsciously, and I think they analize and throw
away huge number of potential bad jokes without ever noticing.
whenever subsconsciousness thinks hey - that's a good one it would
push it into consciousness for final judgement.

in his first Reith lecture in 2003, Vilayanur S. Ramachandran talks
about the nature of humour and laughter, from neurological point of

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2003/lecture1.shtml

if you're gonna read it - search for Vellore and read from that
paragraph. In audio - just listen to the whole lecture, it's fun ;-)

If I remember correctly he returns to the topic later in another lecture.

--
cheers,
artm

http://lab.v2.nl/