[fluxus] (draw-cube) (hint-wire) weirdness, plus a few miscellaneous issues

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Jul 14 04:23:08 PDT 2006

> I was playing with some 3D ripple effects, with a moving point leaving a
> trail of spheres that expand and become less opaque.  Then I decided
> that randomly placed cubes expanding in that way looked nicer.  See
> attached script, some screenshots are here:
>
> http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/index.php?page=gallery/digital/fluxus
>
> (the Cube Rain images are the ones relevant to this email, in the likely
> event of me adding more images to that page)
>
> One weird issue, sometimes (albeit rarely) when I hit F5, all the
> objects appear black, see the third Cube Rain screenshot for an example.

Just a guess, are you randomising the background colour? I think the
opacity in conjunction with the bg colour may be messing up. If you could
get a script that does it repeatedly it would be great.

> And, more of a Scheme question than a Fluxus question, is there a faster
> way to remove something from the wrong end of a list than:
>
> (reverse (cdr (reverse L)))

I get round this by building a list the other way round - rather than
cons, use append and remove from the front. Not sure if that helps.

> And finally, if I hit Ctrl-F then Ctrl-W, my window manager decorations
> don't come back (I'm using Fluxbox).  Is there a way to make them
> reappear so that I can quit without having to Ctrl-C in the terminal I
> started Fluxus from?

I've never seen that - and I run fluxbox too... does sound like a wm issue
though, fluxus has no direct control over that as it all goes through
glut.