[fluxus] rendering 4D (newbie questions)

Artem Baguinski artm at v2.nl
Mon Feb 27 03:43:00 PST 2006

On 27/02/06, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:
> I think it should default to off, with a new hint-sort which would
> instruct the scene graph to sort the objects below the root (not sure how
> it should behave hierachically) also the particle primitive should sort
> it's points if it has the hint. every thing else should be rendered first,
> in the normal order.

dealing with hierarchy:

you can render in passes. first pass traverses the sg and renders all
opaque objects, keeping an ordered list of opaque objects with their
transforms. second pass renders the opaque list. that's how they do it
in maveric.

in perfomer it is even more flexible - you define the "traversal pass"
which simply collects objects in several "bins" (e.g. opaque bin,
transparent bin, whatever else bin) and how each bin is ordered (or
not at all, but usually they order opaque by graphics state) and in
which order bins are rendered.