[fluxus] rendering 4D (newbie questions)

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Feb 27 04:13:12 PST 2006

> On 27/02/06, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:
>> I think it should default to off, with a new hint-sort which would
>> instruct the scene graph to sort the objects below the root (not sure
>> how
>> it should behave hierachically) also the particle primitive should sort
>> it's points if it has the hint. every thing else should be rendered
>> first,
>> in the normal order.
>
> dealing with hierarchy:
>
> you can render in passes. first pass traverses the sg and renders all
> opaque objects, keeping an ordered list of opaque objects with their
> transforms. second pass renders the opaque list. that's how they do it
> in maveric.
>
> in perfomer it is even more flexible - you define the "traversal pass"
> which simply collects objects in several "bins" (e.g. opaque bin,
> transparent bin, whatever else bin) and how each bin is ordered (or
> not at all, but usually they order opaque by graphics state) and in
> which order bins are rendered.

I guess that would be easiest, anything with the sort flag is put in in
the ordered pass with the current transform - to be rendered at the end.
I'd prefer to do it with the flag as then we can specify it at a finer
level than doing something automatic with the opacity setting (which won't
tell you if the textures use transparency)

I was wondering if there was a better way to do this without storing the
transform, but I guess it doesn't matter.

This is very similar to how the immediate mode objects are rendered at the
moment, they are collected throughout the script's execution and rendered
after world begin, at the same time as the scene graph and discarded. I
guess we'd want to sort them too :)