[fluxus] rendering 4D (newbie questions)

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Feb 27 03:02:17 PST 2006

> On 27/02/06, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:
>> > yes, games designers have control over the environments anduse them
>> > in a creative way to hide the artefacts. but still most game engines /
>> > scene graph libraries address the problem by  marking and dynamicly
>> > resorting the transparent stuff. Mostly they sort per object though
>> > (not per polygon) and make sure that's enough.
>>
>> I saw a paper a while ago where, rather than depth sorting every frame,
>> you could presort along the 3 axes and choose which sort to use based on
>> the camera orientation. Of course, if they are moving we'd have to do
>> this
>> sort every frame anyway, so it wouldn't be worth much.
>

>> It's not hard to put in a depth sort, it's just slow
>
> it's slow in universal case. if you have little number of transparent
> things it can be ok. but since fluxus is pretty generic it's hard to
> decide what and how to sort and render. in some cases you don't need
> to bother altogether.

I think it should default to off, with a new hint-sort which would
instruct the scene graph to sort the objects below the root (not sure how
it should behave hierachically) also the particle primitive should sort
it's points if it has the hint. every thing else should be rendered first,
in the normal order.