[fluxus] building on OSX

nik gaffney nik at fo.am
Thu Oct 13 03:54:56 PDT 2005

> well, I might ditch guile - I have a couple of reasons to already. firstly
> the api is a mess, halfway through a redesign and no end in sight, which
> makes writing the bindings largly a matter of guesswork. secondly I have a
> feeling it might not be the fastest interpreter out there. the fastest
> fluxus scripts are always going to be the ones which are light on the
> interpreter (retained instead of immediate mode stuff) but I think we
> could get some good speed ups using something like this:
> http://sof.ch/dan/qscheme/index-e.html

from the look of it, the qscheme code hasnt been updated since y2k
there are a few others that might be worth consdiering. ,.

mzscheme (as part of plt scheme) in particular looks good, is quite fast
from what ive seen.
  http://www.plt-scheme.org/software/mzscheme/

scheme48 http://s48.org/ possibly interesting. has recently implemeted
concurrency oriented libs, which might help solve some of the problems that
'multiple guile interpreters' address.

chicken and bigloo are also quite decent from what ive heard. both have an
interface for embedding in c(++?) code
  http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/
  http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo/

and depending on how far you are willing to diverge from guile, there is
also ecl -> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/