[fluxus] from-osc vrs. osc-msg

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Jul 22 02:50:45 PDT 2005

> dave, chris, james, all -hi!
>
> its been a "/reincident_in_fluxus" summer.
> (0.7rc1 my taste with some OSC..mjamm!)
>
> ive noticed that my naive patches for Riga were using the command
> (from-osc), it seems this doesnt work anymore (and the sintax changed),
> according to the dox file theres a new way, that looks cleaner to get OSC
> input-> (osc-msg).

yep, the advantage to (osc-msg) is that it returns true if the message was
recieved in the last frame, so it's easier to trigger things than the
previous system. It managed to work pretty well at my last gig for
intercepting alex "slub"'s trigger messages to his sampler app, and
spawning text particles with his sample names :)

> anyways..my questions:
>
> 1st (phps mostly a pd Q):
> -Is it better to pd [pack] all in only one object and addressed it to a
> single -> (osc-msg "/namestring") command?
>  so to assing values all around the fluxus patch via many (osc xxx) placed
> here and there. or is it better, cleaner and more efficient to use
> different instances ala /z /zz /zzz and have the load distributed?
>  could anyone comment on how to avoid making a mess when sending a lot of
> data from pd2fluxus?

I don't know anything about pd, but if I understand correctly I think it
would be easier to understand if you send many named messages rather than
one uber-message with tons of argument data on it. I guess it's debatable
though, and really depends on your application.

> 2nd question(related to a fluxus patch)
> -this patch contains the "#" character, i havent seen it before and when i
> delete it everthing breaks, i will like to understand its use since in
> this particular patch i see i cannot replace nay of those values by a (osc
> X) kindda value

it's like a static definition of a vector, it's not really a good idea to
use it as, as you've found, you can't insert functions like this:

#((osc 1) (osc 2) (osc 3))

the workaround, and better way to define vectors is this:

(vector (osc 1) (osc 2) (osc 3))

> 3rd Q
> -can one add comments to the code? i have tryed few characters: / - # and
> \ but havent found the right one, is commenting fluxus code possible?
> it could be a nice to have "live commentaries" as in "live news" or is it
> "news live" :S, whatever.. )

try a ;
this is a good resource for scheme documentation:
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/r5rs_toc.html

glad to hear your enjoying fluxus :)

feature-in-cvs-of-the-week: fast point particle primitives.
http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=FluxusNotes
I've got some really nice results from these, will upload more screenshots
soon.