[Fluxus] usefulness for audio?

plutek infinity plutek at infinity.net
Fri Oct 24 19:10:44 PDT 2014

greetings!

for a number of years, i've been using puredata to code a live
performance rig which takes input from a clarinet, and analyzes and
transforms it various ways to yield a kind of extended instrument for
improvisational performance. lately, i've become disenchanted with
puredata, and want to use something more text-based as well as more
easily modifiable and expressive on-the-fly...

i've looked at ChucK, SuperCollider, and fluxus+fluxa.

in terms of the general aesthetic of the environment, and the "feel" of
working in each, i'd have to rate them this way:

1. fluxus+fluxa
2. ChucK
3. SuperCollider

i'm using a lot of MIDI input for control, and need a deep capability
for audio analysis and transformation -- this is fundamentally about
sound, with future possibilities for graphics as a distant possible
dream. also, i need to start with a significantly developed machine
ready to go, but with a live-coding approach available during
performance, for modifications.

so, i'm interested in thoughts any of you might have about the
possibility of fluxus+fluxa really being a viable environment for what
i'm doing; my sense is that it's a real stretch to think that it's truly
appropriate -- which is truly a shame, because it is just simply such a
beautiful and intuitive thing!  :(

on the other hand, i'm extremely comfortable already with the
text-file-editing paradigm implied in ChucK -- i already do "way too
many" things in emacs, and that environment is just second nature to me.
the C-based syntax, and lack of attention to visual aesthetic is just
simply not as appealing as the lisp-based beauty of fluxus.

SuperCollider is a complete "wildcard", which i really know nothing
about, and just seems like a Big Black Box, although what i've read and
watched seems to indicate it would work.

so, if you would, please give me some collective wisdom about
appropriateness, functionality, reliability, etc., etc....

thanks so much in advance... cheers!
.pltk.