[Fluxus] show-fps crash ubuntu lucid

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 13:00:47 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 06:06:33PM +0000, wandering free wrote:

> As mentioned above, the git repo build didn't help the issue...
> I quickly skimmed the src and found show-fps calls SetFPSDisplay, but
> couldn't find where the function originates.
> Just me poking around not really knowing what I am looking for.
> Any ideas where to go from here?

To be honest; no. I suspect some sort of OpenGL compatibility issue,
but you are probably running some OpenGL emulation/software rendering
layer that will be quite common and so I'd imagine this would have
shown up before. Now I am at a loss. We might suspect something to do
with the card reporting the time it takes to render a frame or some
unique property of the way the fps is displayed... but then I'd
imagine (delta) or simply the scratchpad would also cause issues.

There *may* be more info in your ".xsession-errors" file (should be in
your home dir); if anything there seems relevant you can send those
lines.

At any rate I have to admit that I am now out of my league for remote
debugging and you'll need help from Dave or Gabor who know a lot more
about OpenGL and the Fluxus code-base than I do.

What I can help you with is tracing functions (or anything, really) in
a larger multi-directory code-base. There is a excellent tool for that
called "grep". It stands for "Get Regular ExPression" but even without
arcane regular expressions it lets you search all files in a directory
for the occurrence of terms like this and hands you a list of those
files and the context it is used in. For this kind of tracing and just
for recreationally trying to understand code it is quite nice. It has
many online tutorials that go into various levels of depth so I'd
like to suggest one or more of those. Don't be overwhelmed; even the
most basic use-case is extremely helpful and can save a lot of time.